Monday, March 16, 2009

Task: Weather and Locos check out (Cont.)


I've owned a pair of Proto-2000 SD-60s for 5 years or so that have sat in their boxes awaiting the day a layout could be built. 1 in NS and 1 in Conrail colors. I ordered NCE DCC decoders customized by Tony's Train Exchange for correct install and operations in these models. Installation had a snag though, Life-like uses 1.5v bulbs that arent compatible with the DCC decoders. So I had to buy 14v bulbs from Circuitronics and replace the stock bulbs. Installation wasnt to bad overall.

I heavily weathered these units. First I airbrushed along the bottom and trucks with Floquil brown "Leather" paint. I had masked the wheels off while I painted the trucks - however some paint did get on the wheels. I cleaned this off with Acetone. Then I used a lot of dusting powders, mostly grimy black and brown, and a wash of black ink/rubbing alcohol.

Overall I am pleased with these two. Lots of good details were included with the Proto-2000 models.

These locos will be prementatly consisted with a new Athearn Genesis SD60M due out late April 2009. These new units look to be really nice. I have one pre-ordered from Standard Hobby online, NS#6778 . For around 175 dollars these units are sorta pricey. Athearn is promising all new recorded sounds. They are shipping with MRC DCC-Sound decoders. We will see if MRC has improved its act with their new sound decoders, because to this point they've had less than a stellar reputation.

Consist # will be 78.

No comments:

Post a Comment