Monday, March 30, 2009

Task: Complete Coal Car build and load

I received a couple more of my favorite coal hoppers in the mail today. The 3-bay 100 Ton Hopper is a great car for my coal operations. I have over 15 of these models from Bowser. I have a few from other model makers, like Bev-bel, Athearn and Concor, but Bowser is by far my favorite. I follow the included instructions for construction. I throw away the plastic inserts for the inside of the hopper wells. I only add the 2 weight plates included, but I then add 8 pennies -- 2 in each bottom corner with adhesive caulk.

I then cut the included cardboard insert for the box to fit down inside the car with it being slightly wider on the sides so it bows up and holds firm. I insert it and push it down about a 1/4 inch. I then use Woodland Scenics Lump Coal to create the coal load, by pouring in it until the car is full and then I set the coal using a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. The pictures shows the coal load completely wet as I really pour the glue on. I really enjoy the way this looks when dried, especially compared to mostly cheap unrealistic looking plastic coal loads available on the market. To me, my method looks the most authentic.

The test of the load comes 24 hours later, when I flip the car over and to check to see if any coal comes off. Normally only 1 or 2 tiny pieces do. I then install the included McHenry KS Couplers and the trucks -- I replace the stock plastic wheels with 36" metal wheels from Proto 2000 or Intermountain.

I have yet to weather my large fleet of coal hoppers. I will probably just wash them with windwasher fluid mixed with a mix of artists tube water colors. Probably a blend of black, white and raw sierra. Then dullcote the car. I will finish up with dusting powders.

No comments:

Post a Comment