Monday, November 9, 2009

Task: Find the Perfect Tree - Failure

The effort to find a realistic model tree for our layout has been very frustrating until recently. First let me start by saying -- all claims of realism by various model tree makers are grossly over blown and not to believed. Period Dot.

I began with several purchases from various different model tree makers. First up was JTTtree ( http://www.miniaturetree.com/ ). I purchased their new realistic tree line called, "Super Scenic" trees. 45 dollars later they arrived in the mail. Once I opened it, it was very clear this was money not spend wisely. The trees were so fake looking it was sad. And the pictures online looked nothing like the product I was holding -- online it was a model tree full of foliage, but in real life it was so sparsely flocked and foliaged you could barely see any green on it. I called the people at JTTtree to inquire about a refund -- and I was told - "So Sorry we no give refund." I had purchased them using Paypal.com. Let me just say, do not ever count on Paypal to help with this type of issue. Paypal.com immediately closed my dispute claim despite the fact I had mailed the trees back to JTTtree. So a 45 dollar lesson was taught to me. Forget Paypal and forget MRC's JTTtree company (which is very disappointing because I truly like MRC products -- my DCC system is MRC). Later, I went ordered from Horizon Hobby online without realizing it, the JTTtree --highly expensive-- "Professional" product line of trees. A small two-pack of trees costs 20 dollars -- and they looked pretty good; but at that point I wouldn't use their products if it was the only item on the market.

Second lesson was the purchase of an inexpensive Woodland Scenic's deciduous plastic 20-pack tree kit. I followed the easy to follow instructions, bending the plastic branches this way and that, using their Hobby Tac glue product and then dipping the tree trunks into their foliage cluster product. All I can say is, if you want really cheap trees and dont mind cheap looking results - these are for you. But I hated the end result instantly and into the trash they all went. 25 dollars for lesson #2. I have also looked into the Woodland Scenic "Premium" line of model trees, and although I think they look okay, probably acceptable for our layout, they costs way to much money for what you get ultimately. 2 trees for 15 dollars, at only an acceptable level, is not good enough to me.

Third lesson came via purchase of Scenic Express's ( http://www.sceneryexpress.com/departments.asp?dept=1002 ) ready made trees. I purchased two different types of trees for review -- a Birch tree 2-pack and a Oak tree 2-pack. Let me start by saying that I very much think Scenic Express is a great company with great products; however, for me, their ready made trees are not up to par. Close but no cigar. So I mailed them back and instantly received a 30 dollar refund. So a free lesson finally. Thank you Scenic Express.

Fourth lesson came via a 50 dollar direct purchase of ready made trees from China off of Ebay. They were shipped directly from China and only took a week or so to arrive. They are not bad. The model tree's trunk is very nicely done with some sort of dyed sawdust crust that looks a lot like real bark. However the foliage clusters used by them are some sort of alien whacked-out, glow-in-the-dark green color. I will post a picture at some point. But trust me, they looked just plain weird. Which is too bad, because 50 dollars got me around 100 trees.

170 dollars later -- only 30 of it refunded -- I discovered there was a lot to be desired in the claims of "realistic" model trees for model railroading layout. I continued the hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment