Saturday, October 31, 2009

Task: Build a Mountian



I began the process of building the one mountain on the layout that will have tunnels. I like tunnels but did not want long stretches of the layout beneath mountains because to me its all about the trains. I want to see trains, not hills and mountains. So this mountain is compressed and thats fine. It provides the sense of tunnel action without hiding trains from view for extended running.

After setting in the homemade modern concrete segment bridge into the still wet ground goop, I began constructing the mountain. Its largely cardboard framed with plaster impregnated paper towels over top. I used wide masking tape to develop the curves of the mountain. The tunnel portals and retaining walls were attached and then the rock molded plaster castings. Once I was satisfied with it, I began covering it all with the ground goop.

Lots of small details remain, as I need to work the inside of the tunnels so that nothing layout-looking is seen. I will use black construction paper to create the tunnel once I get all the wiring completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment