After some additional research and re-reading my Model Railroader magazines, I thought I would tree making my own "Perfect Tree." I purchased Scenic Express's "SuperTrees" ( http://www.sceneryexpress.com/departments.asp?dept=1006 ) starter kit product. After all the good reviews I had read about them, I was sure I had finally found the model trees I sought. Originally I had hoped to just purchase completed model trees to allow me to focus on finishing the entire layout somewhat sooner, but no luck -- everything pointed to the fact that I would have to make them myself using this product if I wanted really good looking trees. And honestly the main item that jumps out at you, next to perhaps the track work, tends to be the trees.
I purchased the kit from Walthers.com for a good price - around 21 dollars for the starter kit (contained enough stuff to make about 10 trees). The kit arrived promptly and upon opening it I felt I was on the right track. The kit comes with a dried weed of some sort. I think their from Sweden or something. I had found online from a few modeler's websites that you need to boil them for around 30 minutes to soften the stem and then hang them upside to dry -- all with the end goal of a straight "trunk."
No comments:
Post a Comment