Sunday, October 4, 2009

Task: Create Rocks

I began the process for the 100 or so rocks that are going to be needed for the layout. I started with the Woodland Scenics product called Lightweight Hydrocal. Its a really high quality plaster product that sets quickly and allows for fine details in the final rock casting. Using three separate rubber rock molds, also by Woodland Scenics, I poured the mixed Hydrocal in to the "wetted" molds. Wetted means water with liquid dish soap mixed in (in this case in a spray bottle) that allows the completed rock to be lifted out of the rubber mold.

Once the Hydrocal was completely dried (think 4 or so hours), I began the painting process. I first mixed 16 parts water with 1 part Woodland Scenic Burnt Umber and Yellow Orchid paint. And 32 parts with 1 part Woodland Scenic Black paint (for the final wash). Using cheap foam brushes I dabbed the rocks with both colors in different spots. Then I coated the whole rock with a 16 parts to 1 part Woodland Scenic's Slate Rock paint. Once it sat for about 30 mins, I washed the rocks with the highly diluted black paint, really soaking the cracks and crevices (I use an empty Windex spray bottle for this washing).

I allowed these to dry over-night then using white acrylic paint, I used the modeling technique called dry rubbing, to bring out the edges of the rocks. I was satisfied with the finally results. The last step will be to seal each painted rock in 50-50 white glue.



No comments:

Post a Comment