So while I await funding issues to clear up for the additional elevation riser sets, I completed a new piece of rolling stock I purchased recently. Its a CSX Wood Chip hopper. These cars are used to transport wood chips from various lumber related industries to paper-related industries that use pulpwood (e.g. toilet paper, paper towels and printer/copier paper).
The car is a "gold line" car from Walthers, meaning it comes with prototypical couplers and metal wheels, and nice details already installed - like the hand brake used for spotting the car on sidings for example. I added a little extra weight to the car's empty hopper prior to installing a cardboard filler into it. I did this to ensure the center of gravity was as low as possible to prevent "wiggling" when it is moving. I used real wood saw dust left over from the benchwork creation as wood chips. I glued it using a watered down mix of white glue. 24 hours later - the wood chips are dried and hard, I weathered the car with a few washes of Raw Sienna acrylic paint mixed with car window washer fluid. Then I applied a black wash and finally a coat of Dull Cote lacquer. Next step will be to apply a little weathering chalk dust to it once the lacquer dries.
you certainly thought of everything, it looks great.
ReplyDelete