However, Woodland Scenics' foam riser and incline foam system makes the process of elevating the tracks much simpler. The downside is the cost. At around $15 per set, and our layout needing probably around 10 sets -- that's big bucks.
I am using the 2% grade set. Its cut so smoothly that it rises from 0" to 4" in 16 running feet at a 2% incline. In one spot, I may have to use a 3% incline set, taking only 12 running feet to go from 0" to 4".
At first I tired to use 1/2" rigid foam board and wood cut to varying sizes to replicate Woodland's system; but, it was a huge failure -- trains derailed, track did not smoothly rise, etc. No wonder Woodland Scenics charges so much. But I want smooth running trains - so we will have to bite the bullet and buy their foam systems.
Lastly, hardboard fascia installation continues. I will modify the already installed pieces as necessary after the elevation of the terrain is completed. The fascia serves several important purposes; it is to prevent curious fingers from playing with track and ground scene, it helps prevent trains crashing to the floor below during an accident, and it provides a smooth eye transition visual. But that being said, it also needs to be as unobtrusive to the eye as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment