Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Task: Complete Coal Loading Facility


I began the final stages of the only industry I plan for the layout - a Coal Loading Facility. This model here is part of 3 total that I have built. These are all made by Walthers Inc. This one, a coal loading building that can load 3 cars at a time is undergoing a rust and grime wash. I had washed the roof with a dark gray mix a few weeks ago after spraying the entire building with an airbrush mix of gray and tan. The metal supports for the coal loading area I airbrushed a black and grey mix diluted with rubbing alcohol - I like the texture it provides with the cheaper acrylic paints from Apple Barrel and Folk Art (sold at Walmart for less than a buck).

As you can see in the photo, I am applying Raw Sienna acrylic paint from Folk Art with car window washer fluid. I am trying to portray the rusting that is common with aged Aluminun/Metal buildings of this style. After the rust, I will wash it with my grime/black wash. I will then install the window glass - the plastic window glass is modeled with framing and for that I will use a fine tipped black Sharpie maker. After the that I will seal the model in matte acrylic lacquer then I will dust it some with weathering chalks. I will then install the stairs and doors. Lastly, I have printed "Clark Coal Mining" signs and mounted them on 3x5 card stock. I will glue these and then dust them some.

I will post more pictures of this structure once completed.

1 comment:

  1. I REALLY LIKE THE WAY YOU HAVE PAINTED THE BUILDINGS, LOOKS GREAT, LOVE, MOM

    ReplyDelete